If you practice inpatient medicine and insert central venous catheters, you have likely heard the term central line bundle but were not sure what the bundle was exactly. A bundle is a group of actions that help prevent central venous catheter infections when taken together.
What are the steps of the Central line bundle?
The central line bundle includes five main steps:
- Prepare the skin with chlorhexidine.
- Wash hands immediately before gloving and gowning.
- Use full barrier precautions.
- Hat and mask for all in the room.
- Remove lines when no longer necessary.
How much do you really know about the Central line bundle?
Does the central line bundle really prevent catheter-related bloodstream infections?
Yes and there is the data to prove it.